The Prizes

Distribution of prize money

There will be 12 major prizes awarded to the winners of the M5 Competition during the M5 Conference to be held in New York city in early December 2020.
The $100,000 prize money will be distributed as follows:

Prize ID Prize Amount
1 Most accurate point forecast $25,000
2 Second most accurate point forecast $10,000
3 Third most accurate point forecast $5,000
4 Fourth most accurate point forecast $3,000
5 Fifth most accurate point forecast $2,000
6 Most precise estimation of the uncertainty distribution $25,000
7 Second most precise estimation of the uncertainty distribution $10,000
8 Third most precise estimation of the uncertainty distribution $5,000
9 Fourth most precise estimation of the uncertainty distribution $3,000
10 Fifth most precise estimation of the uncertainty distribution $2,000
11 Most accurate student point forecast $5,000
12 Most precise student estimation of the uncertainty distribution $5,000
Total: $100,000
For all point forecasts prizes 20% of all money will go to the winners of the level of the hierarchy (performance at the product-store level – 12th level of Table 1) and the remaining 80% to the winners of hierarchical levels (average performance across all levels). * For all uncertainty distribution prizes 20% of the money will go to the winners of the (average performance across four extreme quantiles) and the remaining 80% to the winners of quantiles considered (average performance across nine quantiles).